Shares were down 10.4% to $51.99 by midmorning.
The company which specializes in solar equipment recorded revenue of $768 million, 28.9% lower than a year earlier. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected total sales of $965.4 million.
Lower sales was attributed to decreased systems business project revenues as sales for Desert Sunlight and ABW projects were achieved in the third quarter.The Tempe, Arizona-based business posted per-share earnings of 89 cents, which fell short of consensus by 10 cents a share. For its first quarter ending March, management guided for net income between 50 cents and 60 cents a share, well below analyst consensus of 84 cents a share. Net sales are expected between $800 million and $900 million, in line with a forecasted $898.25 million. Must Read: Is There Any Hope For J.C. Penney? STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates FIRST SOLAR INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate FIRST SOLAR INC (FSLR) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FSLR Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV