Story updated at 10:05 a.m. to reflect market activity.
Ralph Lauren gained 1.6% to $162.51 in morning trading.
The bank raised its valuation ranger for the company to between $186 and $197 from between $166 and $171. Analyst Evren Kopelman said the upgrade is due to several new initiatives that could help accelerate growth for the clothing company."We see an inflection point for RL with several new initiatives that could accelerate sales growth. EPS revisions could turn positive on sales momentum as we believe investment spending-related margin pressure for FY2015 is already well laid out by RL and is mostly in consensus estimates and the stock," Kopelman said. "We also see a potential acceleration in share buybacks. Our valuation range is $186-197 (vs. $166-171 prior) based on 18-19x our FY2016E EPS of $10.35, in line with RL's historical valuation and peers, and a higher multiple than we applied previously due to the upcoming improvement in EPS profile." STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ------------- Separately,TheStreet Ratings team rates RALPH LAUREN CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate RALPH LAUREN CORP (RL) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- RALPH LAUREN CORP has improved earnings per share by 11.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, RALPH LAUREN CORP increased its bottom line by earning $8.00 versus $7.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($8.40 versus $8.00).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 17.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- RL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, RL has a quick ratio of 1.97, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for RALPH LAUREN CORP is rather high; currently it is at 58.16%. Regardless of RL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RL's net profit margin of 11.76% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RL Ratings Report
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.