Update (9:40 a.m.): Updated with Wednesday market open information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- UBS reduced its target price on Morgan Stanley (MS) to $38, reduced its estimates and set a "buy" rating. The firm said the decision was driven by rate hike timing and weaker first-quarter capital markets.
The stock was flat at $29.73 shortly after the market opened on Wednesday.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 16.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- MS's share price has surged by 25.23% over the past year, reflecting the market's general trend, despite their weak earnings growth during the last quarter.
- MORGAN STANLEY has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MORGAN STANLEY increased its bottom line by earning $1.43 versus $0.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.52 versus $1.43).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, MORGAN STANLEY's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 69.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $594.00 million to $181.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV