NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today's pre-earnings buy-and-trade profiles include five companies that report after the closing bell today and four that report before the opening bell on Thursday.
A detailed technical analysis chart about these stocks is on page 3 of this article. I also explain my number-crunching terms there.
Mall anchor JCPenney (JCP) will be tested after the close today as analysts expect the company to report an earnings-per-share loss of 79 cents. The stock set an all-time low at $4.90 on Feb. 5, so not closing below $5.00 a share is extremely important. That way investors buying the stock on margin will have to pony up a full purchase amount or sell their holdings. (Most brokerages won't allow individual investors to own a stock trading below five bucks a share on margin.)
Another turnaround story is Best Buy (BBY), which was a huge winner in 2013. It traded up from a multiyear low at $11.23 on Dec. 28, 2012, to a multiyear high at $44.66 on Nov. 13. Things haven't been so kind to the company in 2014, as the stock plunged below its 200-day simple moving average at $33.71 on Jan. 16 on weak guidance for 2013 holiday sales. The stock traded as low as $22.50 on Feb. 3.
On to the analysis.
Autodesk (ADSK) ($54.66, up 8.6% YTD): Analysts expect the software company for architectural design to report earnings of 21 cents a share after the closing bell today. The stock set an all-time intraday high at $55.98 on Monday, Feb. 24, well above its 200-day simple moving average at $41.83. The weekly chart is positive but overbought, with its five-week modified moving average at $52.49. The stock has a gain of 49.3% over the last 12 months. Quarterly and semiannual value levels are $50.34, $50.24 and $49.35 with a weekly risky level at $55.41.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV