Revenue for the fourth quarter was $3.49 billion, well off the $4.09 billion estimate of analysts. The company -- reporting its first quarterly results since Office Depot completed its acquisition of OfficeMax in November -- posted a loss of 3 cents a share, compared with analysts' estimates of earnings of 3 cents a share. Shares fell 9% on the news, not a great start for the country's No. 2 office-supply retailer behind Staples (SPLS).
It makes me wonder what the office-supply business would look like if the Federal Trade Commission had allowed Office Depot and Staples to merge, as they had intended to, back in 1997.
That the FTC blocked that move was quite comical, especially given the explanation by the director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition, William J. Baer, who said at the time, "The FTC's decision to ask a court to block the merger is about lower prices for consumers. If the merger is allowed to proceed, consumers will pay millions of dollars more for their copy paper, envelopes, pens and file folders."That statement sounded funny to me in 1997 and is even funnier now as technology and the Internet have upended the retail and printing-services businesses. ODP data by YCharts
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV