With heavy rains forecast through the weekend in most of the Southland, Southern California Edison (SCE) reminds its customers that outages may occur and to never approach or touch downed power lines.
SCE will take steps to position additional personnel, which includes restoration and repair crews. Additional call center representatives will handle customer inquiries through the weekend during the predicted rainstorm conditions.
The National Weather Service predicts two separate storm fronts moving through Southern California in the next few days. The first storm is expected to remain north of Southern California, but scattered showers are still expected to reach the Los Angeles basin as soon as late Wednesday night.
The second storm system is anticipated to be much stronger and is expected to move directly over Southern California late Friday afternoon, with showers lasting through Saturday and possibly Sunday.If you see a downed power line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it or anything that is in contact with it and call 911 immediately. Customers may report outages at 1-800-611-1911, online or through the SCE Outages app. SCE will provide the latest information about outages at its website and on Facebook and Twitter. Customer safety is a top priority for SCE. Here are important tips to keep in mind:
- Watch for traffic signals that may be out. Approach those intersections as four-way stops.
- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and flashlights. Check the batteries to make sure they are fresh. Use flashlights for lighting during a power outage; do not use candles because they may pose a significant fire hazard.
- Do not use any equipment inside that is designed for outdoor heating or cooking. Such equipment can emit carbon monoxide and other toxic gases.
- If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into it, using a heavy-duty extension cord. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates “backfeed,” which is dangerous to repair crews.
- Leave the doors of your refrigerator and freezer closed to keep food as fresh as possible. Place blocks of ice inside to help keep food cold. Check food carefully for signs of spoilage.
- Check on your neighbors to make sure everyone is safe.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV