Lagging In Post-Market Activity: First Solar (FSLR)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified First Solar (FSLR) as a post-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified First Solar as such a stock due to the following factors:
- FSLR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $194.8 million.
- FSLR is down 8.7% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in FSLR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for FSLR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on FSLR: First Solar, Inc. provides solar energy solutions. It operates in two segments, Components and Systems. The Components segment engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of solar modules that convert sunlight into electricity. FSLR has a PE ratio of 11.5. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate First Solar a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold.The average volume for First Solar has been 3.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. First Solar has a market cap of $5.6 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 2.02 and a short float of 23.4% with 3.25 days to cover. Shares are up 5.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates First Solar as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- FSLR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 50.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- FSLR's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.05 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.29, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- FIRST SOLAR INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FIRST SOLAR INC reported poor results of -$1.19 versus -$0.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.38 versus -$1.19).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, FIRST SOLAR INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for FIRST SOLAR INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 33.26%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 15.41% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full First Solar Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV