NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- With an unexpected drop in consumer confidence the price of gold and silver
continues to move higher. Gold for April delivery at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange moved above the $1,343 level, while
(ABX), one of the world's leading producers of precious metals, rallied for most of Tuesday's session.
Barrick Gold is up 19.6% for the year to date, as of Tuesday's close of $21.08, compared with the Standard & Poor's 500, down 0.2% for the similar period. The company holds interests in mines in North America, South America and Australia Pacific as well as copper mines located in Chile and Zambia and a mine under construction in oil-rich Saudi Arabia.
Last year was especially brutal for all the gold miners as the price of the shiny metal plunged to lows not seen in several years.
As the one-year chart below illustrates, what goes down often rebounds, and shares of Barrick are off to a positive start in 2014. I've included the exponential moving averages (EMA) of the share price for a technical perspective.
ABX data by YCharts
After falling off the proverbial cliff last March shares have stayed above the 50-day EMA (red line) since the start of 2014 and recently broke above the 100-day EMA line in the past week. From a technical perspective that's an important breakout.
It doesn't mean Barrick's share price may not retest both EMA stock price support levels, but if it does and holds above them both, that often signals a trend in motion and a fortuitous time to begin accumulating shares of ABX.
On Feb. 13 the company reported a fourth-quarter 2013 net loss of $2.83 billion ($2.61 per share), including after-tax impairment charges of $2.82 billion. Adjusted net earnings were $0.41 billion (37 cents per share). Operating cash flow was $1.02 billion and adjusted operating cash flow was $1.09 billion, the company reported.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV