NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tenet Healthcare (THC - Get Report) was falling 9.7% to $43.65 on Tuesday after the company reported a net loss in the fourth quarter chiefly due to financing its acquisition of Vanguard Health Systems, a smaller chain of hospitals.
Tenet purchased Vanguard last fall for $1.8 billion in order to reach into new markets and to benefit from an increase in patients with health insurance under President Barack Obama's healthcare reform. The company announced its adjusted admissions, which include both inpatient and outpatient data, fell 0.5% in the fourth quarter, while inpatient admissions fell 2.3%.
The company report income from continuing operations of $43 million, or 43 cents a share, excluding items, down from $65 million, or 60 cents a share, in the same period one year earlier. Analysts expected a profit of 34 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. The company reported a net loss of $24 million, or 24 cents a share, down year over year from a net income of $49 million, or 45 cents a share. Net operating revenue increased 67% to $3.89 billion. Adjusted EBITDA, excluding items, increased 32.1% year over year to $444 million from $336 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Providers & Services industry and the overall market, TENET HEALTHCARE CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TENET HEALTHCARE CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.96%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.16% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: THC Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts