NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- You lose if you do and you lose if you don't. Some companies just can't seem to catch a break. Although Groupon (GRPN) didn't have an exceptionally strong fourth quarter, it certainly didn't justify the 22% pullback in the stock last Friday.
Although the stock has rebounded 7% since the decline, Groupon's stock is off by more than $1 billion in value on the basis of one quarter. Why? It's true the company reported a loss, while attempting to do exactly what analysts believe it should do to remain viable. These steps include international expansion and mobile monetization.
[Read: BlackBerry's Party Is Just Getting Started]
Guess which two companies went through these same sort of execution headwinds and constant scrutiny from analysts? Netflix (NFLX) and Facebook (FB). This was prior to their respective stocks soaring more than 200% over the trailing twelve months. It seems like a long time ago now. Groupon is in that same boat. But don't take this as some misguided support.
Look, over the past couple of years, I've taken my own shots at this company. After arriving on the scene with much fanfare, I even called Groupon's business model a scam. It was the only way to assess its brutal 2012 performance. Since then the company has taken meaningful strides. The downbeat guidance notwithstanding, this quarter's results reflected ongoing improvements.
[Read: Medtronics Is a Healthy Investment Despite Recent Struggles]
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV