E-Cig Makers to Light Up China, World's Biggest Tobacco Market
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A pair of tobacco industry manufacturers from southern China are preparing to challenge the Chinese government's powerful tobacco monopoly and change the way the nation smokes.
Their weapon of choice? The country's first brand of electronic cigarettes.
FirstUnion Technology, a global supplier that claims to be the world's largest e-cigarette producer, and Jinjia, China's biggest maker of cigarette product packaging, launched a joint venture Tuesday, Feb. 25, aimed at manufacturing China's first mass-market e-cigs.With a start-up investment of 100 million yuan, the companies said in a stock market announcement, the venture will be "engaged in the development, production and sale of electronic cigarettes for the domestic Chinese market. No other details of the venture's business plans were released. But the partnership will almost certainly need support from the central government if it hopes to loosen state-owned China National Tobacco's grip on the market. The Chinese tobacco market is the world's largest, with 325 million daily smokers, according to the World Health Organization. FirstUnion and Jinjia have entrepreneurial success working in their favor. Both are headquartered in Shenzhen, a city neighboring Hong Kong where the Communist Party created an economic development zone in 1979. The zone was a first step in China's ongoing campaign to allow private ownership and welcome foreign investment. FirstUnion opened for business in 2004, and today rolls out about 800 million e-cigarettes annually at plants employing some 10,000 people. Customers include leading tobacco companies in more than 50 countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV