NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, debated Verizon's (VZ) stock with CNBC's David Faber Thursday. Analysts at J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley are declaring the stock "super duper," Cramer said, but the stock price seems stuck.
Faber suspects that a major issues is "flowback." When Verizon bought out Vodaphone's (VOD) stake in September, the company issued billions in stock to Vodaphone shareholders who may not have wanted to hold Verizon shares. That exerted selling pressure on Verizon stock and kept prices lower. A lot of those fears and sales have abated, though, Faber said.
That presents an opening for investors, Cramer said. "Unless you think interest rates are going to shoot up, this may be the opportunity." Verizon is a growth company with good numbers in his view.Sprint (S) and T-Mobile (TMUS) have been spending to upgrade their networks, Faber noted, igniting concerns about competitive pressure. That may hurt margins. Despite these concerns, Cramer marveled, "I can't understand why that stock's not higher." He sees VZ going to $48. Faber added that its 4.5% dividend yield is also attractive. Cramer concluded that "I would not dump Verizon." Its stubbornly resistant stock price, though, is a "puzzlement." It can't seem to break out, even in a market-wide rally. - Written by Nora Morrison in Cleveland.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV