Reading In Lieu of Bearishness
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
- "VIX options make exotics leap" - This definitely will have been the most entertaining VIX-related story of the week. Exotic options are always fun to think through, but when you add in VIX skew and the dynamics of volatility spikes, how could you go wrong.
- Hyun Song Shin's papers - We talked about one of his recent papers on Thursday, and there's a lot more interesting work here.
- "China training for 'short, sharp war', says senior US naval officer" - A quick hot war between China and Japan is one of the risk scenarios actually worth monitoring this year, and so far all the movement has been in one direction. Unless you count American naval officers talking on the record about the risk scenario, which I'm not qualified to evaluate as a piece of public diplomacy and/or coalition-building, but seems like a step in the direction of deterrence.
- "The Prodigal Sons" - I'm no fan of the milquetoast policy prescriptions at the end (a popular referendum increasing the EITC would surely communicate solidarity more effectively than "national service projects") - but Brooks's telling of the parable here is better than average, for him. Even better is:
- "Moralizing inequality" - Chris Dillow discusses the fundamental attribution error in the context of economic inequality. The "lazy poor" and "greedy banker" labels are false, but they persist because people prefer to tell morality tales rather than focus on the structural causes at work, viz., you know, capitalism.
- "Australian Dollar May Suffer as Fed Tapers, China Slows" - This is a fantastic visualization from Bloomberg of the long-term bearish case for AUD.
- "Understanding N(d1) and N(d2): Risk-Adjusted Probabilities in the Black-Scholes Model" - There are two probability factors in the Black-Scholes formula, and they are different from one another. Traditionally, those factors have not been explained very well, and this paper rectifies that. Or if that's not of interest to you:
- United State of Pop 2013 - From DJ Earworm, who does lots of good work, not just the annual mashups.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV