NORTHBROOK, Ill., Feb. 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Winter's grasp will hopefully be letting go with warmer weather on the way for most of the country in the next few weeks. But if this winter wasn't wicked enough, its effects will be felt by drivers for months to come in the form of the dreaded pothole. It's something drivers might not be able to prevent, but there are simple things that can be done to escape damage to a car.
"Potholes can destroy tires, throw off a car's alignment or worse," said Anthony Royer, president of Allstate Roadside Services. "One of the most important things people can do is to make sure their tires are adequately inflated. This helps to protect and cushion the rim of your tire from damage."
Allstate offers the following tips to protect cars from potholes:
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Leave plenty of room in front of your vehicle so you can avoid potholes without getting into a crash.
- If you can't avoid a pothole, slow down before you hit it and don't brake. Braking can actually cause more damage.
- When driving over the pothole, hold the steering wheel firmly to avoid losing control.
- Use caution and drive slowly when driving over a puddle of water or through the snow because it might be hiding a particularly deep pothole.
"Every driver who encounters a dangerous pothole should consider contacting their city to make road crews aware," continued Royer. "Cities around the country will be dealing with fixing hundreds of these road hazards and may not know where the worst of them could be forming."If a driver has damage to their car or vehicle from a pothole, they should contact their insurance agent to determine if they should file a claim. Some cities may also offer reimbursement for pothole related damage and drivers should check with their local government to see if such a service is provided.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts