This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Macy’s, Inc. Reports Its Fifth Consecutive Year Of Double-Digit Growth In Earnings Per Share

For the 52 weeks of 2013, Macy’s, Inc. sales totaled $27.931 billion, up 0.9 percent from total sales of $27.686 billion in the 53 weeks of fiscal 2012. On a comparable sales basis, Macy’s, Inc.’s 2013 sales were up 1.9 percent in 2013 over 2012. Together with sales from departments licensed to third parties, 2013 sales on a comparable basis were up 2.8 percent.

The company’s comparable sales include net sales from stores open at least one full fiscal year, as well as online sales at and The company licenses third parties to operate certain departments in its stores and receives commissions from these third parties based on a percentage of their net sales. Neither the licensed department sales nor the commissions received are included in the calculation of comparable sales.

Please see the last page of this news release for important information regarding the calculation of the company’s comparable sales together with comparable sales from departments licensed to third parties. The company believes that the combination of the two provides a useful measure for assessing changes in total customer demand at Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s.

In fiscal 2013, the company opened six stores and closed seven stores. Macy’s opened new stores in Victorville, CA, and Gurnee, IL, as well as a replacement store in Bay Shore, NY, and new men’s store in Las Vegas, NV. Bloomingdale’s opened a new store in Glendale, CA, and a new Bloomingdale’s Outlet store in Rosemont, IL. As previously announced, Macy’s closed stores in Mesa, AZ; Overland Park, KS; Florissant and St. Louis, MO; Irondequoit, NY; and Murray, UT. The Macy’s men’s and furniture store in downtown Sacramento, CA, was consolidated into a nearby full-line store.

Operating Income

Macy’s, Inc.’s operating income totaled $1.349 billion or 14.7 percent of sales for the 13-week quarter ended Feb. 1, 2014, compared with operating income of $1.391 billion or 14.9 percent of sales for the 14-week fourth quarter of fiscal 2012. Macy’s, Inc.’s fourth quarter 2013 operating income included expenses and asset impairment charges of $88 million associated with previously announced store closings, cost reduction initiatives and related items. Excluding these items, operating income for the fourth quarter of 2013 was $1.437 billion or 15.6 percent of sales. Fourth quarter 2012 operating income included asset impairment charges and other costs and expenses of $5 million primarily associated with store closings. Excluding these items, operating income for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $1.396 billion or 14.9 percent of sales.

3 of 9

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $93.99 0.00%
FB $102.01 0.00%
GOOG $682.40 0.00%
TSLA $151.04 0.00%
YHOO $27.04 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 15,973.84 +313.66 2.00%
S&P 500 1,864.78 +35.70 1.95%
NASDAQ 4,337.5120 +70.6750 1.66%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs