CHICAGO, Feb. 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to a new survey released by CheapTickets.com, over two-thirds of college students are not relying on parents to pay for their Spring Break this year, but instead working more and shopping less to afford the mid-semester getaway with friends. 1 With the majority of college students paying for their own fun in the sun, Spring Break budgets are modest with nearly 65 percent of students planning to spend less than $1,000 on their getaway.
"College Spring Breaks are just around the corner with most taking place the first two weeks in March. For students making last minute decisions about where they will go, there are still reasonable deals to the most popular destinations for college students," said Gayle Pigatto of CheapTickets.com. "Seven out of the top 10 destinations for college Spring Breakers still have hotel rates under $250 per night. As college students usually travel in groups and share hotel rooms, a Spring Break getaway is within reach – even for small budgets."
CheapTickets Spring Break CheapometerTo help students find the most popular places to go and get the most bang for their buck, through a combination of booking and survey data, the CheapTickets Cheapometer identifies the top college Spring Break destinations and calculates average hotel and flight prices.
- It is evident that students are escaping the polar vortex and flocking to the sun with all of the top 10 college Spring Break vacations taking place in warm weather destinations.
- While Cancun leads the pack as the most popular spot for college Spring Breakers, Myrtle Beach offers students the best value with the least expensive average flight and hotel prices among all of the top 10 destinations.
- This year's later Easter means a later Mardi Gras. New Orleans is sure to be a hot spot among college students with Mardi Gras events taking place the first week of March – coordinating perfectly with many college Spring Break schedules.
|CheapTickets Top Ten College Spring Break Destinations 2||2014 Average Daily Hotel Prices||2014 Average Airfare|
|2||Punta Cana, Dominican Republic||$299||$612|
|3||Los Cabos, Mexico||$227||$544|
|4||Miami Beach, Florida||$219||$371|
|5||New Orleans, Louisiana||$209||$388|
|6||Montego Bay, Jamaica||$377||$517|
|7||Key West, Florida||$340||$494|
|8||Daytona Beach, Florida||$172||$350|
|9||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina||$77||$312|
|10||South Padre Island, Texas||$157||$391|
CONTACT: Media Contact: Marita Hudson Thomas +1-312-260-8304, firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV