This was evident in Sinopec's annual results. In 2012, Sinopec's exploration and production segment reported an operating margin of 27.2%. On the other hand, its marketing segment, which was the biggest contributor to sales, operated with a margin of just 2.9%.
In its most recent results for the nine months ending in September 2013, Sinopec revealed that its marketing segment was responsible for 35% of its operating profits. On the other hand, its exploration and production arm contributed 60% to the company's operating profits.
By divesting from the lower-margin business and investing in the higher-margin operation, Sinopec can considerably improve its profitability in the future.
Meanwhile, analysts have speculated that PetroChina might accelerate its divestiture program in response to Sinopec's sale. However, PetroChina will mainly focus on selling its infrastructure assets as, unlike Sinopec, PetroChina's oil marketing operations consist of fewer and less lucrative retail outlets. In mid-2013, PetroChina revealed that it owns more than 20,000 gas stations.highlighted the fact that Sinopec's 30,000 gas stations are seriously undervalued. With the new investment, these stations, and the retail shops on them, can be revamped. That could improve their profitability. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV