- Vodafone Germany and Ericsson trial a unique video broadcast in Borussia Mönchengladbach's football stadium
- Point-to-multipoint video signal distribution puts no additional load on the network
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Vodafone Germany is the first European carrier to conduct live tests with LTE Broadcast in collaboration with communications technology and services provider Ericsson, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and Samsung. The trial took place at Borussia Mönchengladbach's stadium on Saturday 22 February, when they played 1899 Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga.
LTE Broadcast - also known as evolved Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service (eMBMS) - puts no additional load on the network, enabling smartphone users in device dense locations to watch TV channels in high-quality.
The service uses Single Frequency Network technology (like DVB-T) to distribute the signal to an unlimited number of recipients. The user only needs an LTE-enabled device with an LTE Broadcast app.As part of Vodafone Germany's network modernisation programme, LTE Broadcast could soon be available in further German stadia. "There is growing demand for high quality video content on mobile devices and LTE Broadcast gives our customers a brand new mobile media experience," said Eric Kuisch, CTO Vodafone Germany. "This technology enables multiple broadcast sessions to be viewed simultaneously, so our customers will be able to watch Sky's Premiere League Summary or exclusive video content from the stadium they're in." "This first test in Europe is an important milestone for the European mobile telecommunications sector. LTE Broadcast will soon be delivering unlimited TV or video content to people in device dense places such as stadiums, public viewing areas or shopping centers. I enjoy watching a good match at the stadium and it's going to be an even more exciting experience when I can watch the replay of the scene that lead to a penalty or goal or check up on the progress of the toughest competing teams in the league while my team's playing," said Thomas Norén, Head of Product Area Radio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV