- Extends coverage to new cities in five states, and expands coverage in cities including Madison, Wis., Portland, Maine and Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Marks third wave of 4G LTE network expansion for U.S. Cellular and its partner, King Street Wireless
- Expands strong relationship between Ericsson and U.S. Cellular
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) today announced it has completed a 4G LTE network expansion for U.S. Cellular and its partner, King Street Wireless. The expansion was part of U.S. Cellular's third wave of 4G LTE network rollouts and covers cities in five states including Madison, Wis.; Portland, Maine; Cedar Rapids, Iowa and markets in New Hampshire and North Carolina. As part of the latest expansion, Ericsson provided the 4G LTE access network and expanded capacity to support U.S. Cellular's markets. This includes 4G LTE base stations (eNodeB's), using Ericsson's RBS 6000 multi-standard base station. Ericsson also provided network implementation services.
"With Ericsson's help, we were able to successfully expand the 4G LTE network to support the launch of Apple devices," says Michael Irizarry executive vice president and chief technology officer for U.S. Cellular. "By coupling the latest cutting-edge devices with the most advanced mobile network, we are able to give customers the best mobile experience available."
The rollout represents a new mobile broadband and services deployment contract for Ericsson with U.S. Cellular. Previously, the company deployed eNodeB, Mobile Management Entities (MME's) and Operations and Support Systems (OSS) in the company's first two waves of the 4G LTE rollout."We are pleased to support U.S. Cellular in this expansion of the 4G LTE network," says Thomas Norén Vice President and Head of Product Area Radio, Ericsson. "LTE networks provide a superior user experience when it comes to stability, speed and latency. The increased capacity will bring new enhanced services to U.S. Cellular customers."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts