In the three months to December, the Houston-based oiler reported a net loss of 14 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated a per-share loss of 20 cents.
Oil and gas revenues increased 64% over the quarter to $59.4 million from $36.1 million a year earlier. The jump was due to an increase in oil and gas production resulting from prior acquisitions and higher average realized commodity prices over the period.
Midstream and marketing sales spiked 595% to $18.2 million, primarily due to increased throughput volumes on the Eureka Hunter Pipeline Systems and increased third-party gas marketing volumes.Despite the improvement, shares plunged over the trading session. By late afternoon, shares had dumped 5.4% to $8.45. Also See: Magnum Hunter Resources Announces Gas Discovery at Utica Shale Well STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP (MHR) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MHR Ratings Report
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV