NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Humana (HUM) hit a one-year high of $112.78 as of 12:48 p.m. EST on Monday afternoon after the proposed government cuts to the Medicare Advantage program were less than expected.
The Louisville-based company is the second-largest Medicare Advantage insurer, and the company led insurance stocks higher on Monday as it surged. The federal government announced on Friday that health insurers that run Medicare Advantage, the private version of the government's program, would deal with a base payment cut of approximately 3.55% next year. Humana estimated on Monday that the reduction would total 3.5% to 4%, down from its previous estimate of 6% to 7%, according to Bloomberg.
The proposed cuts are subject to negotiations and would not become final until April 7.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, HUM's share price has jumped by 40.82%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, HUM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- HUM's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.28 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, HUM has a quick ratio of 1.61, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- HUMANA INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HUMANA INC increased its bottom line by earning $7.70 versus $7.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($7.75 versus $7.70).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HUM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV