Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Apple (AAPL). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the October expiration for AAPL. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $470 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $18.30. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 3.9% return against the $470 commitment, or a 6% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).
Selling a put does not give an investor access to AAPL's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Apple Inc sees its shares fall 10.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $451.70 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $18.30 from $470), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 6% annualized rate of return.
Interestingly, that annualized 6% figure actually exceeds the 2.3% annualized dividend paid by Apple Inc by 3.7%, based on the current share price of $525.80. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 10.61% to reach the $470 strike price.Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Apple Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for AAPL below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.3% annualized dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV