NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Last week, TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link, co-managers of the Actions Alerts PLUS portfolio, initiated a position in Chevron (CVX). They said they liked the stock's dividend yield, short-term catalysts and long-term value.
Link has expressed her bullish view on the energy sector as a whole in a conversation with TheStreet's Jill Malandrino. Link and Cramer are certainly bullish on the specific energy companies in their portfolio.
Names such as Occidental Petroleum (OXY) and National Oilwell Varco (NOV) have positive catalysts that could push shares higher.
Cramer and Link are looking for these stocks to benefit from the companies' decisions to spinoff certain business segments. Since the spinoffs were announced, however, the stocks have given up the initial gains and in some cases are actually lower.
Cramer and Link say this doesn't make sense and that they believe future gains are in store for shareholders of these stocks.Get more of Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link's top picks in real time. Click here to begin your free trial today! DISCLOSURE: At the time of publication, Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS portfolio had holdings in CVX, NOV and OXY. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV