3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks: CLUB, SFL, MEMP
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Town Sports International Holdings (NASDAQ:CLUB) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. Town Sports International Holdings, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, owns and operates fitness clubs in the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 17.50.The average volume for Town Sports International Holdings has been 96,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Town Sports International Holdings has a market cap of $210.9 million and is part of the leisure industry. Shares are down 40.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.TheStreet Ratings rates Town Sports International Holdings as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its generally strong cash flow from operations. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $16.91 million or 4.97% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, TOWN SPORTS INTL HOLDINGS has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -107.22%.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.3%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- TOWN SPORTS INTL HOLDINGS's earnings per share declined by 50.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. However, the consensus estimates suggest that there will be an upward trend in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TOWN SPORTS INTL HOLDINGS's EPS of $0.50 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $0.50. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.62 versus $0.50).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.45 million to -$0.70 million.
- The gross profit margin for TOWN SPORTS INTL HOLDINGS is rather low; currently it is at 21.89%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -0.61% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Town Sports International Holdings Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV