The computer-animated film based on the popular children's building blocks generated $31.4 million domestically, according to data compiled by box office analytics company Rentrak (RENT).
Since its release last month, the movie has proved to be an unexpected hit, even breaking records as the second-biggest February opening since The Passion of the Christ. The Mel Gibson film generated $83.8 million in its debut in 2004.
Lego Movie also managed to have one of the best third weekend box office for an animated movie, second only to the 2004 release of Shrek 2 which made $37 million in its third weekend.Overall, the film has made $183.2 million in domestic markets and $275.7 million worldwide since its release on Feb. 7. The studio recently greenlit a sequel set to release in May 2017. Two new releases over the weekend, Relativity Media's 3 Days to Kill and Sony's (SNE) big-budget Pompeii, came in second and third, respectively. The former, a spy thriller starring Kevin Costner, pulled in $12.3 million domestically in its premiere weekend and has yet to be released in international markets. Pompeii, a loose account of the buried Ancient Roman city, generated $10 million in domestic markets, but fared better in worldwide sales with $32.8 million. The unstoppable Frozen is still pulling in the crowds more than three months into its run. The Disney (DIS) film sat at the number eight spot over the weekend, with domestic sales of $4.4 million and worldwide sales of $13.4 million. Since its release in Thanksgiving last year, the film has generated domestic sales of $384 million and worldwide sales of $980.36 million. Must Read: Why the Netflix, Comcast Agreement Is Such a Big Deal Must Read: Rules Don't Apply to Apple, Amazon, Netflix
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV