NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of BlackBerry (BBRY) are rising on Monday on reports that Ford (F) is turning to the beleaguered tech company to power its Sync voice-activated system, a blow to its current arrangement with Microsoft (MSFT). Ford has built more than 10 million vehicles worldwide that are equipped with Sync software.
Shares of BlackBerry are rising on Monday on reports that Ford is turning to the beleaguered tech company to power its Sync voice-activated system.
A partnership would be a significant achievement for BlackBerry, which has been struggling for years. In effect, Ford will be ditching Microsoft, whose voice-activated software has been the basis of Ford's Sync system since it was introduced in 2007.The news was originally reported in The Hansen Report, which said Sync 2 has been criticized for being glitch prone and difficult to operate. Via a spokesperson, Ford has said it will continue to work with Microsoft, although it was not specified in what capacity. BlackBerry's QNX Software Systems is already featured in Audi and BMW vehicles -- but would significantly expand its presence, as Ford has built more than 10 million vehicles worldwide that are equipped with Sync software. At last check, shares of BlackBerry were climbing almost 8% to $9.85. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. --Written by Brittany Umar in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV