MONROE, La., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) is dedicated to protecting its customers' Internet experience and, timed with National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW) March 2-8, is providing a list of recommended Internet security tips to promote safe Internet use. The goal of NCPW is to encourage consumers to take full advantage of their consumer rights and make better-informed decisions.
"The Internet has expanded the capabilities of individuals to engage in fraudulent schemes, which is why we felt it was important to offer protection tips in order to raise awareness of safe online practices," said Dave Mahon, vice president and chief security officer at CenturyLink. "This information will help customers reduce computer infections, avoid responding to fraudulent emails and help them maintain strong Internet security."
Eight tips to increase Internet security
- Replace "simple" passwords (e.g.,1234 or "password") with alpha-numeric and symbol passwords and enable additional security questions when available.
- Never post personal info in chat rooms or agree to engage in offline chats or meetings.
- Do not share contact info on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or similar posts or profiles.
- Always make sure that your PC or Mac system software is up to date.
- Review your security settings before connecting to public Wi-Fi and limit what you do on Wi-Fi.
- Make sure your antivirus software is automatically updated and runs regular scans on all of your operating systems to protect against new threats, which may lead to identity fraud.
- Be wary of emails with attachments or embedded links from unknown sources.
- Scan hard disk(s) at least twice monthly to detect and remove unauthorized remote controls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV