- Ericsson and operators in Middle East announce the launch of the Refugees United service to help reach the nearly 800,000 Syrian refugees residing in Jordan and Iraq
- According to the UN, an estimated 2.4 million refugees from Syria have been forced to move to surrounding countries
- The Refugees United family reconnection platform will be made available to Syrian families via a mobile application and toll-free lines; awareness will be created using SMS campaigns in the countries surrounding Syria
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 24, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The United Nations estimates that due to the crisis in Syria, people are being displaced at the rate of one every 15 seconds. In response to this, Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC), Refugees United, and mobile operators across the Middle East are uniting in order to use mobile communications as a means of expanding the family reconnection service.
This innovative action aims to reach the nearly 800,000 displaced Syrians residing in Jordan and Iraq and help those separated to locate each other via a mobile search tool. This is replicating the successful deployment of the Refugees United service in East Africa where the service is already live through mobile operators in Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Somaliland. Some 280,000 refugees have registered on the service and Refugees United estimates that hundreds of families have been reunited.
The coalition of mobile operators will launch several new initiatives to accelerate registrations of Syrians in these countries, including a free mobile application, a toll-free line, and a free SMS notification service. According to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), there are 4.25 million Syrians displaced internally and 2.4 million displaced in neighboring countries.Ericsson is the technology partner to the initiative, helping to develop and maintain the overall mobile platform and will provide technical support and integration of the tool into mobile networks in Jordan and Iraq.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts