WALNUT, Calif., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- VIASPACE Inc. (OTCQB: VSPC) conducted a full production scale test of Giant King Grass grinding equipment on February 18, 2014 in Portland, Oregon. 6,000 pounds of 18 foot tall Giant King Grass stalks were cut and shredded in a few minutes in a test of a candidate grinder for the 12 MW Giant King Grass power plant being developed in Nicaragua.
The grinding test was conducted on a large, stationary, horizontal grinder manufactured by West Salem Machinery Company of Salem, Oregon that was installed at the Greenway Recycling Facility in Portland, Oregon. Three tons of Giant King Grass were harvested from the VIASPACE propagation nursery in California and were then transported to Portland for the test.
VIASPACE CEO Dr. Carl Kukkonen reported, "When Giant King Grass is ready for harvest, each plant has 15 to 25 stalks, and each stalk is 16 to 20 feet tall. The Giant King Grass must be cut into smaller pieces in order to be used in a power plant or biofuels facility. This size reduction and shredding can be done as part of harvest with a forage harvester, or whole stalks can be harvested and transported to a central processing facility adjacent to the power plant where an electrically powered processing system can be utilized (as opposed to using diesel powered machines in the field). The latter approach is being used in Nicaragua.""An electrically powered grinder is lower cost and has lower maintenance than a diesel powered grinder. We plan to install the grinder in our fuel processing and short-term storage facility just outside the power plant. Since it is a stationary and large machine, the only way to test it was to bring the Giant King Grass to the grinder. That is what we did. Our production needs are 36 tons per hour, 24 hours per day, and 365 days per year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV