- Telefonica and Ericsson in joint R&D program for network virtualization
- Partnership on network virtualization will shorten time-to-market and enable innovation for new network services with superior performance
- Program to establish cross-industry view and contribute to standardization bodies
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 24, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) and Telefonica announce the launch of a joint R&D program to understand, in-depth, the challenges and opportunities in network transformation during the coming decade, specifically in the areas of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and service provider Software Defined Networking (SDN). At the center of this initiative is the need to build more flexible and cost-efficient solutions, as well as to enable networks as true platforms for innovation.
Enrique Blanco, Telefonica Global CTO, says: "We are living in an extremely dynamic and changing environment, and flexibility is the only approach to efficiently adapt our business to our customers' needs. Network virtualization brings unique opportunities to address current and upcoming challenges while building a more sustainable network model. This collaboration with Ericsson will help us to advance this future network."
Telefonica and Ericsson will define a joint view on how the transformation of networks should take place, sharing a common outlook on the order in which network functions will be virtualized and which applications are likely to give the most benefit. Critical considerations to take into account to maintain superior performance of the network when virtualizing it will be also defined. The joint initiative aims to guide standardization and industry bodies, and to provide an important contribution to establishing a cross-industry view of what is needed to take virtualization from theory to reality.Ulf Ewaldsson, Ericsson CTO says: "A virtualized network will provide an open and distributed execution platform where nodes are capable of hosting distributed network functions. Through network virtualization the network of the future will support innovation and an improved user experience with new, tailored services and more efficient utilization of network resources."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV