BARCELONA, Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mobile World Congress -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) have signed a co-innovation agreement with Telefonica to drive innovation and adoption of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) by the telecommunications industry, building on the strength of a shared vision.
The strategic relationship will use Alcatel-Lucent's CloudBand NFV platform to identify and develop process models to help service providers decide which elements within the network should be virtualized and when. Virtualization of network functions allow decoupling of the software-based functions from the physical infrastructure enabling service providers such as Telefonica to greatly reduce operating costs through a more efficient management of the physical infrastructure, which can be reused for playing different functionalities, as well as enabling the faster roll-out of next-generation services and applications thanks to the moldable network architecture that the software based functions make possible, moving and adding the functionality to the points of presence where they are required in almost real time.
Alcatel-Lucent and Telefonica both play leading roles in the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) industry body for NFV and are committed to advancing the development of NFV. With this expanded collaboration, Telefonica and Alcatel-Lucent will move closer to making NFV a reality and create a reference model for future network architectures.
In addition to the agreement with Telefonica, Alcatel-Lucent has also recently announced a new commitment to the virtualization strategy of its own product portfolio.Key Facts:
- Using Alcatel-Lucent's CloudBand platform, the co-development program with Telefonica will define NFV-evolved architectures, identify and test different NFV scenarios and environments.
- Alcatel-Lucent and Telefonica will create a joint NFV research facility, sharing resources, experts and technology to develop, test and validate a network functions virtualization execution platform as part of their shared NFV vision.
- The agreement involves joint investment, certification programs, engagement with other service providers and eventually participation in field trials. The agreement includes also the common research and definition of virtual RAN architectures.
- As The Shift Plan industrially repositions Alcatel-Lucent as a specialist vendor of IP, cloud and ultra-broadband access, the agreement with Telefonica underlines the operator's endorsement of this strategic direction, and the value it will bring to operators and service providers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts