- Goal is to expand the reach of the Internet to emerging markets and create better mobile experiences
- Optimizing applications, networks, devices and services for next five billion Internet users
- Key to Internet.org goal of making Internet access available to all and supporting the vision for the Networked Society
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 24, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) and Facebook today announced the creation of a joint innovation lab supporting the Internet.org initiative. The Internet.org Innovation Lab, an Ericsson-Facebook collaboration, will provide an environment and expertise for optimizing applications, networks, devices and services for the next five billion Internet users.
Expected to open in the second half of 2014 on Facebook's campus in Menlo Park, California, the new lab will tackle the most critical aspects of the Internet.org goal to make Internet access available to all.
Based on Ericsson Device and Application Verification service capabilities and the company's technology leadership in mobile networks, Ericsson will provide Facebook and application developers the ability to simulate different network environments from around the world. This will allow them to develop and test mobile applications and services."With this lab, developers will be able to simulate network conditions typically found in new markets, giving them an environment to test and optimize their applications under a number of different scenarios," said Jay Parikh, Vice President of Infrastructure Engineering at Facebook. "This is a unique capability that Ericsson brings to the table and we are happy they have taken a leadership position with us in this initiative." The lab will help remove one of the key physical barriers that exist for bringing the Internet to everyone. Developers today typically only have access to the network environment of their physical location. With consumers today operating in different network environments (2G, 3G, 4G, WiFi) on multiple mobile operating systems and a wide range of devices, the complexity involved for developers can be overwhelming. The joint innovation lab will facilitate multiple network environments for testing and optimization, all in one location.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV