Ill., Mich. Politicians Tout Manufacturing Labs
The Michigan institute will focus on lightweight and modern metals. The White House said that effort includes a 60-member consortium, pairing the world's leading producers of aluminum, titanium and high-strength steel with universities and researchers.
Michigan's long standing as a bastion of car-making may have helped that state grab one of the institutes. Automakers, seeking better fuel efficiency in their vehicles, increasingly have turned to lighter body components that burn up less gasoline.
The White House said pushing more research into lightweight metals through the planned institute also "will strengthen our defense capabilities, like enabling the creation of armored vehicles strong enough to withstand a roadside bomb but light enough for helicopter-transport."
John Anthony, a Canton trustee, told the Detroit Free Press he looked forward to hearing more details, calling that project potentially a revenue generator and "a tremendous opportunity."Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said he would work with the consortium to "maximize the job opportunities available to Detroiters." The bidding competition overseen by the Defense Department drew proposals from across the country. The two institutes a¿¿ along with last month's announcement that Raleigh, N.C., soon will be home to an Energy Department-led institute focusing on next-generation power electronics a¿¿ follow through on Obama's 2013 State of the Union pledge to push innovation through such regional hubs using existing resources. The Obama administration launched the bidding competition last May.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV