Accenture (NYSE:ACN) and KPN (NYSE:KPN), one of the leading telecommunications and information communications technology service providers in the Netherlands, have developed a proof of concept using Google Glass and the Accenture Video Solution (AVS) for interactive television viewing, storage and control that has the potential to greatly enrich the TV user experience. While not yet developed as a commercial product, the companies are exploring the potential applications of wearable technologies for television viewers.
The companies will demonstrate the proof of concept at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Using KPN’s Interactive TV service, which is built on the Accenture Video Solution software platform and enables subscribers to watch TV on more devices, the companies will show how Google Glass integrates with the AVS platform to offer hands-free, voice-controlled interaction, and seamlessly shares TV content between the main TV screen and Google Glass.
Three examples will be demonstrated:
1) Advanced Remote Control or Companion Device, which enables viewers to control TV functions like channel, program, and program preview selection, volume control, pause, and fast forward/rewind, giving viewers a single, platform-independent device to manage and control the TV directly.2) Second Screen, which allows viewers to access an extra layer of real-time information while watching programs. For example, as people watch live sports events, they can access statistics and other results or review event highlights, for an enriched and personalized TV experience. 3) TV Everywhere, which enables viewers to select a program stored on the cloud, and continue watching it on another device while away from the primary TV. “Accenture’s Technology Vision 2014 shows that companies and consumers are extremely interested in the practical possibilities of connected intelligence and wearables such as this Google Glass proof of concept,” said Tom Loozen, managing director for Accenture’s Communications industry group. “This sort of innovation has enormous potential to offer users real-time access to an extra dimension of personalized functionality and information.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV