Some may attribute to the forthcoming IPO of King Digital Entertainment -- makers of Candy Crush -- as the catalyst for Zynga's rise this week. A spotlight focused directly on online game markers helps, but it's only one more log on the fire. Candy Crush doesn't fully explain the move in Zynga from $3.50, although it may have improved investor sentiment.
Announcing new real-money mobile slots games -- including Riches of Olympus -- should excite investors more. Zynga is licensed by the U.K. to offer online slots, poker and other games of chance.
I'm fully convinced the U.K. is a warm-up to offering online gambling to other parts of the world. Investors are beginning to realize that the company is transitioning away from a struggling "freemium" model -- a free game with added features offered for cash. Freemium games are vulnerable to the whims of Facebook (FB). But Zynga is working to become a real-money online poker powerhouse on a level playing field with Facebook and every other web property.
More importantly to shareholders, as investors realize this change is afoot, shares should continue their climb higher.At the time of publication, the author was long Zynga but held no positions in any of the other stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV