NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- After a banner year for
(THC) stock, the
Justice Department charged the company and competitor Health Management Associates, with paying kickbacks for patient referrals. Health Management Associates was purchased in January by Franklin, Tenn.-based
Community Health Systems
If you are an investor, you'd think these accusations would affect Tenet's shares.On Friday, two days after the Justice Dept. announced the lawsuit, Tenet shares closed 1.63% higher on heavier than normal volume. On Monday, shares have continued rising, up 2.5% to $48. In fact, for the year to date, shares are up 14% compared with 4.9% for the Standard & Poor's 500.
The company reports earnings after the market close Monday.
Tenet Healthcare, Dallas, owns and operates acute care hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, among others, throughout the United States. Tenet has grown through acquisitions, including the recent purchase of Vanguard Health Systems at the end of 2013.
Tenet and Health Management face allegations hospitals paid kickbacks to obstetric clinics serving primarily undocumented Hispanic women in return for referral of those patients for labor and delivery at the hospitals.
In its lawsuit, filed under the whistle-blower provisions of the False Claims Act, the Justice Department claims the hospitals billed the Medicaid programs in Georgia and South Carolina for the services provided to the referred patients and, in some instances, also obtained additional Medicare reimbursement based on the increased numbers of low-income patients.
Steven Campanini, a spokesman for Tenet, said in a statement to the news media the company will defend itself against the lawsuit. Neither Community Health nor its subsidiary have commented on the lawsuit as yet.
Let's look at a five-year price chart to see how far the stock has risen and highlight a key financial metric that has contributed.
THC data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV