Downgrade Alone Won't Kill an Emerging Market
NEW YORK (The Street) -- While few investors are rushing to pour money into Ukraine bonds or shares, a major downgrade may not be the deciding criterium.
To be sure, the greater likelihood of default captured in a poor credit rating is some reflection of the stability and quality of investments in that country.
Standard & Poor's downgrade of the Ukraine's foreign currency rating to CCC on Friday reflected the agency's view on the Ukraine's risk of default. "At this level we are saying they will likely default in the next 12 months if they can't secure external funding," London-based S&P analyst Ana Jelenkovic told The Street, stressing the move was an assessment of credit worthiness rather than investment risk. As if to illustrate her point, Ukraine bonds rallied on Friday on news of a peace deal between President Yanukovych and opposition leaders.
Elsewhere, Argentina illustrates the frequent disconnect between sovereign credit ratings and investment return. Its domestic stock market jumped 80% in 2013 and has returned another 10% so far this year. S&P has a credit rating of CCC+ on the nation with a negative outlook, citing increasing legal risks on Argentina's defaulted debt. Last year, Argentina's stocks were fueled by signs of an economic recovery and the return of global risk appetite. But S&P's rating may well come home to roost for the South American republic this year, with analysts warning of a growing risk of renewed recession. That may matter little to punters who were lucky enough to call Argentina's rally last year, provided they read the tea leaves in time to cash out.
The short story: credit ratings are important, but assess investments on other merits before rushing to cash your Argentine shares. -- By Jane Searle in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV