BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- This market just doesn't want to stay down. Momentum is clearly on the side of buyers right now.
But this still isn't a "dartboard market." By that, I mean that you can't pick stocks by throwing a dart at a board full of tickers. That may work during truly frothy bull markets, but stock picking still matters in this market.
Case in point, two thirds of Dow Jones Industrial Average components are down year-to-date. And of those, half are down 5% or more since the calendar flipped over to January. They're not just underperforming; they're underperforming by a factor of 10. If you hold on to "toxic stocks" in this environment, your performance is sure to suffer.And Dow components are the least of your worries. A handful of other names (even big ones) look even more toxic right now. One of those is Morgan Stanley (MS).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV