In trading on Friday, shares of Walter Energy, Inc. (WLT) entered into oversold territory, changing hands as low as $10.50 per share. We define oversold territory using the Relative Strength Index, or RSI, which is a technical analysis indicator used to measure momentum on a scale of zero to 100. A stock is considered to be oversold if the RSI reading falls below 30.
In the case of Walter Energy, Inc., the RSI reading has hit 28.7 — by comparison, the universe of metals and mining stocks covered by Metals Channel currently has an average RSI of 56.8, the RSI of Spot Gold is at 70.4, and the RSI of Spot Silver is presently 68.7.
A bullish investor could look at WLT's 28.7 reading as a sign that the recent heavy selling is in the process of exhausting itself, and begin to look for entry point opportunities on the buy side.
Looking at a chart of one year performance (below), WLT's low point in its 52 week range is $9.88 per share, with $34.65 as the 52 week high point — that compares with a last trade of $10.51. Walter Energy, Inc. shares are currently trading down about 3.9% on the day.
According to the ETF Finder at ETF Channel, WLT makes up 2.21% of the SPDR S&P Metals and Mining ETF (XME) which is trading lower by about 0.7% on the day Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV