BEIJING (TheStreet) -- Wanna play China's stock markets just like the Chinese government? If so, pay attention to stock picks made by the National Social Security Fund.
Managers of the more than 1 trillion yuan pension fund for the nation's retirees do not publicly reveal how they invest the roughly 26% set aside for trading domestic shares on the Shanghai and Shenzhen stock exchanges.
But once in a while a state media outlet will let the cat -- or at least part of the cat -- out of the bag.
That's what happened Friday when the Securities Daily newspaper said in a rare report that the fund bought shares worth about 320 million yuan in the fourth quarter 2013. The report was based on an analysis of year-end financial reports filed by listed companies.The purchases increased the fund's domestic stock market investment to about 1.28 billion yuan worth of shares, up more than 33% in the fourth quarter from the previous three months, the report said. The fund added at least three companies to its portfolio during the quarter: Jiangte Motor, a lithium-ion battery maker that gets raw materials from its own mines and also builds electric vehicles including wheelchairs; auto parts manufacturer Zhongding Holding, whose customers include General Motors (GM); and Shunxin Agriculture, a consumer food company with products ranging from pork snacks to hard liquor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV