NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On Wednesday, TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link, co-managers of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, stepped up their investment in the energy sector by purchasing shares of Chevron (CVX).
The stock is off roughly 9% in 2014, after underperforming the broader market in 2013, returning 17%. But the duo can afford to wait. As they pointed out, "the company has increased its dividend for 26 years in a row and at its current price the stock yields an attractive 3.5%," with an increase expected in April.
Concerns come from the most recent earnings report, which revealed a top and bottom line miss where sales fell more than 7% year-over-year. Additionally, the company's CAPEX spending was relatively high and production dropped 3.5%.
However, Link reasoned that the investments the company is making will begin to payoff in the second half of 2014.
So why invest now?
Along with the stock trading at a discount to its peers, with a price-to-earnings ratio of 10.4 versus 10.9, they view the upcoming earnings release on April 9 and analyst day on March 11 as positive catalysts in the short-term, along with a potential dividend hike as well.
Get more of Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link's top picks in real-time. Click here to begin your free trial today!
DISCLOSURE: At the time of publication, Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS portfolio had a long position in CVX.
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV