Ocean Power Technologies (OPTT) Highlighted As Today's Perilous Reversal Stock
- OPTT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $38.2 million.
- OPTT has traded 108,541 shares today.
- OPTT is down 3.1% today.
- OPTT was up 5.3% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in OPTT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for OPTT NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on OPTT: Ocean Power Technologies, Inc. engages in the development and commercialization of proprietary systems that generate electricity by harnessing the renewable energy of ocean waves primarily in the United States, Europe, Asia, and Australia. The average volume for Ocean Power Technologies has been 1.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ocean has a market cap of $53.0 million and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. The stock has a beta of 1.88 and a short float of 7% with 0.08 days to cover. Shares are up 139.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ocean Power Technologies as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, OCEAN POWER TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$3.41 million or 16.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, OCEAN POWER TECHNOLOGIES INC has marginally lower results.
- The gross profit margin for OCEAN POWER TECHNOLOGIES INC is rather low; currently it is at 23.92%. Regardless of OPTT's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OPTT's net profit margin of -704.95% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- OPTT, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 65.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- OPTT's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.02 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.92, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full Ocean Power Technologies Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.