By market open, shares had taken off 9.2% to $8.32.
In the three months to December, the electric component maker recorded a net loss of 10 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated a loss of 4 cents a share.
Revenue of $39 million was 12.4% lower than a year earlier, but beat estimates by $2.5 million.The San Diego-based company expects first-quarter revenue to be "flat to slightly up" on a sequential basis. Analysts forecast revenue of $42.3 million, an assumption of 8% growth in sales. Also See: Groupon Plunges: What Wall Street's Thinking TheStreet Ratings team rates MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC (MXWL) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MXWL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV