Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that Canon Americas Headquarters has been awarded LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. Located in Melville, N.Y., the facility stands as a model for environmental stewardship and innovation, and serves all North and South American countries. The Canon Americas Headquarters is the largest commercial property on Long Island to achieve this level of LEED.
Established by the U.S. Green Building Council, Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) recognizes buildings and neighborhoods that save energy, use fewer resources, reduce pollution, and contribute to healthier environments for their occupants and the community. The level of LEED certification earned is determined by the number of credits achieved in key areas within each of the LEED credit categories, including sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy & atmosphere, materials & resources, indoor environmental quality and innovation & design process.
“We are honored to be awarded LEED Gold certification and be recognized for our environmental conservation efforts at the Canon Americas Headquarters,” said Joe Adachi, president & CEO of Canon U.S.A. “Canon is committed to energy-efficient practices to help reduce the environmental impact of our operations and products we distribute. Our LEED Gold certification will serve as a symbol of Canon’s commitment to the environment and dedication to sustainable practices for years to come.”
The Canon Americas Headquarters features several environmentally conscious elements, including:
- Daylight harvesting found in over 75% of regularly occupied spaces
- Nearly 60% of the natural site of native and adapted plant species have been restored, creating ecosystems that require minimal irrigation
- Garages include 90 parking spaces designated for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles, charging stations for 12 plug-in electric vehicles, and throughout the facility, 136 bicycle storage spaces
- Water efficient plumbing fixtures reduce water consumption by 35%
- Based on total material costs, 40% of materials used are recycled and approximately 30% of materials are sourced regional material