On a post-earnings conference call, DirecTV CEO Mike White pressed federal regulators to ensure the deal is "appropriately scrutinized" in ways more "unique" than other transactions might face.
"If the deal is approved as proposed, it clearly represents an unprecedented media concentration in one company," White said on the call.
Announced last week, Comcast's intended merger with Time Warner Cable would see America's largest cable company purchase the second-largest for $45 billion, creating a broadcasting powerhouse and the industry's most concentrated player.Of particular concern is that the combined companies would hold an effective broadband monopoly with dominance in two-thirds of the U.S. "It certainly creates some significant changes in the competitive landscape that we need to think hard about," added White. "Rest assured, we will continue to look at options for how we could strengthen our company for the long term regardless of what competitors do." DirecTV shares closed Thursday higher after posting quarterly earnings and sales above consensus. In the three months ended in December, the broadcaster recorded net income of $1.53 a share and revenue 6.7% higher year over year to $8.59 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected per-share earnings of $1.28 on $8.47 billion in sales. Additionally, the board approved a new $3.5 billion stock repurchase program. Shares finished the regular session higher, gaining 2.9% to close at $75.08. -- Written by Keris Alison Lahiff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV