Not surprisingly, Bettman brought up the World Cup of Hockey again while brushing off questions about the NHL's future Olympic participation. It's been 10 years since the last World Cup of Hockey, with the first taking place eight years before that, but Bettman seems to think there's a chance of it returning in the near future.
"I believe in the not too distant future the NHL and NHLPA will be in a position to talk about other international initiatives that we're discussing, including bringing back the World Cup," Bettman said. "We see international competition on the horizon. It's really just a question of what the format will be."
Hockey fans are rightfully skeptical about any declarations that Bettman makes, but this would be the right call for everyone involved. It would give casual fans means of discovering the sport at various levels of play and it would give die-hard fans more hockey, which none of them would pass up. More importantly, it would give the NHL a chance to stabilize itself, fall into a regular routine and put forth a consistent product that won't rile the regulars or require detailed explanation for newcomers.
In a league largely defined by the wrong decisions Bettman has made, taking a step back from the Olympics is the right one. The NHL needs realistic solutions if it wants to stay relevant to U.S. hockey fans and become more relevant to U.S. sports as a whole.Hockey fans may have to put up with medals being awarded to no-names and less-than-familiar faces, but it beats draping them over athletes at the peak of their sport while they're relatively anonymous to the country they're representing. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV