Oil States International reported net income from continuing operations of $77.9 million, or $1.40 a share, down from $87 million, or $1.57 a share, in the same quarter a year earlier. The period included after-tax charges of 7 cents a share for transaction costs incurred and losses on debt extinguishment. Net earnings were $1.34 a share, down from $1.78 a year earlier. Revenue declined year over year to $675.18 million from $687.04 million.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected EPS of $1.49 on revenue of $695.8 million.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income increased by 61.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $103.79 million to $167.74 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- OIL STATES INTL INC's earnings per share declined by 21.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OIL STATES INTL INC increased its bottom line by earning $7.46 versus $5.86 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 16.4% in earnings ($6.24 versus $7.46).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, OIL STATES INTL INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: OIS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV