NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Blackhawk Network (HAWK) shares were plummeting 22.45% to $21.77 on Thursday after the company reported fourth-quarter results and guidance that fell short of analysts' expectations. Safeway (SWY) also announced that it would distribute the remaining stake in Blackhawk that it owns.
Blackhawk reported earnings per share of 81 cents and revenue of $521.18 million, short of the consensus estimate of 84 cents and $539.15 million, respectively. Blackhawk also issued EPS guidance for the fiscal year 2014 of $1.19 to $1.24, which did not reach the consensus estimate of $1.40.
Furthermore, Safeway, which spun off Blackhawk into a separate publicly-traded company, announced Wednesday that it would distribute the 37.8 million shares of Blackhawk that it owns to Safeway stockholders. Safeway's stake accounts for approximately 72.2% of the outstanding Blackhawk shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV