NEW YORK (TheStreet) --
Or not. Sing it, sister.
That would accomplish nothing. Are you telling me Apple will regret not being "aggressive" and buying WhatsApp because all of these people who apparently use the messaging platform because they're poor would have run out and purchased an iPhone for $600 or whatever it ends up costing them where they live? Please. Apple would have basically taken on a problem it doesn't need. Different, but simultaneously similar to the headache it would bring on itself if it took out Tesla Motors (TSLA). With WhatsApp, Apple would have had to figure out how to monetize the platform's 450 million users beyond $1 a year after the free trial period. So you tell me WhatsApp adds one million users per day. OK. Cool. So, by the end of the year, they'll have something like 800 million users. $800 million. What's that worth to Apple? It's worth a pain in the ass or a hole in the head Tim Cook doesn't need. Or whatever my mother used to say. The fact that Apple doesn't participate in this insanity should soothe you if you're a long-term AAPL investor or you just want to see the company and/or stock do well. The fact that Apple has not taken some knee-jerk leap at some company that has nothing to do with its core business proves that a) Tim Cook has his eye on the ball and b) will, in typical Apple fashion, disrupt and destroy when he's ready.
Non-participation in Silicon Valley farces the media laps up and legitimizes might actually be, beyond the hardware story, the best long-term investment thesis underlying AAPL right now. ... not nearly aggresive (sic) enough ... Please. Give me a break. And I thought Facebook buying WhatsApp for $16 or $19 billion was the nuttiest thing I heard all day Wednesday. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV