NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Many investors follow general principals when saving their money and building a portfolio. However, Stephen Blumenthal, portfolio manager at CMG Global Equity Fund, told TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg that the traditional 60/40 split is not a solid strategy in today's market.
Blumenthal called the stock market overvalued by about 20%. The average PE ratio is roughly 16, based on the past 50 years. Today's market trades with a price-to-earnings ratio near 21, he said.
On the fixed-income side, it's near some of its lowest levels in history, he said. Of course, it can go lower and still presents more risk than many investors realize, especially with the low returns.
So what should investors do, if not putting 60% into stocks and 40% into bonds?Blumenthal suggests dividing the portfolio into thirds; with one-third going to equities, one-third to fixed-income, and one-third to tactical trading. Which leads to the next question: What is tactical trading? He explains that investors can use a number of different investments in the tactical trading allotment, be it long stocks, long bonds, short the Japanese yen, and a number of different tools. Right now, he said his tactical trading investment is mainly divided between the S&P 500 ETF (SPY) and the iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT), while also shorting the yen via the ProShares UltraShort Yen ETF (YCS). Other investments he cycles between include: SPDR Barclay's 1-3 Month T-Bill ETF (BIL), PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking ETF (DBC), and the Vanguard REIT Index ETF (VNQ). -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV